Thursday, January 28, 2016

Do you stop to think WHO?

God has been rocking my world lately. My inner soul world! He has been challenging me abundantly to come to his feet in awe of who I am praying to.

Have you actually stopped to think about that!? How majestic he is?

Let me just share with you exactly how... Revelation 4.

1After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”2At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it. 3And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and ruby. A rainbow that shone like an emerald encircled the throne. 4Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads. 5From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. In front of the throne, seven lamps were blazing. These are the seven spirits of God. 6Also in front of the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal. 
In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. 7The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. 8Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying: 
“ ‘Holy, holy, holy 
is the Lord God Almighty,’
who was, and is, and is to come.” 
9Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, 10the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say: 
11“You are worthy, our Lord and God, 
to receive glory and honor and power, 
for you created all things, 
and by your will they were created 
and have their being.”

Whoa right!?

We are currently going through Crazy Love by Francis Chan at our small group at church and Francis shares this in Chapter 1. It was absolutely core shaking to step back and think of this before approaching the throne. Before hearing this part I can't remember ever stopping to think like that about who I am approaching and all of his glory. Okay, I've always known who but to picture him in all of his glory like this, as John describes, no. I have always just pictured all the pictures of Jesus walking along the dirt road with his disciples while here on earth. And while I think that is important too because he does talk to us like a friend in that setting he is also so much more than that.

Then in today's First 5 devotional even in Exodus they touch upon preparing ourselves for worship and approaching the throne. That even creation doesn't take lightly God's glory. Exodus 19 tells of the event. It's okay... you can go read it. I'll wait.

So why don't we prepare ourselves in the same way?

Why in our quiet time are we so quick to think of our own needs and come "selfishly" with "requests" vs spending time praising God for all HE is?

Yes, coming to Him with our needs are important, don't get me wrong, but when is the last time you just worshiped Him. For Him. Sang his lavish praises!?

Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come...

Do you lay your crown at his feet and just worship him? Do you tremble in his presence?

I challenge you today that when you go to his feet today don't talk about you or the mountains you feel building up on all sides of you. Praise Him today. Really stop and think before you start of who you are speaking to. What would come out of your mouth?

(Click to 4:54 on the video below to hear Francis describe WHO you are praying to! It's good stuff!! I promise!)



1 comment:

Bev said...

Thank you Lynda....this was great!! I've been away from blogging and reading...but took a few minutes tonight.....this is great!!