Monday, July 20, 2015

Resting in my Father's lap...

Last night I laid on the couch with my soon to be 8 year old before bed. We were all saying prayers goodnight and when we were finished he looked up from my lap and softly ran his fingers across my face. Full hand lightly with his fingers from forehead to chin. Then tapped nose nose lightly with his pointer finger. 

That might sound weird, or something you do to a baby to get them to giggle, but you see I've done that to him his whole life. He does it back to me and his sparkling eyes and soft smile every time warms my heart to no end. He's almost 8 and still loves it. Still asks for me to do. He still does it back to me. 

Last night while I was looking at my sweet sweet boy, who happens to be laying by me now; as he stole Daddy's spot when Daddy left for work ( he loves doing that too); God whispered, "Remember all the little comforts like that that I have done to you? Remember your soft smile and nuzzling into your Father when I would gently wipe my hand across your face when you were younger... Just like that? I still love to do that you my child. I love to gently kiss your forehead too and let you rest in my arms and know that you are safe. That all is okay. All you have to do is come, be still, and lay like your son on my lap. Let me love on you."

I couldn't help but stare at my son smiling, soaking in the moment of him on the dawn of looming birthday, and smiling at the beauty metaphors God whispers through our children's innocence and love for us/we have for them/He has for us. 

When is the last time you laid in your Father's lap and let him gently run his hands across your face and tap your nose and smile his reassuring smile that you are safe, loved, and in his arms nothing else in the world matters? 

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Matthew 11:28