Monday, February 3, 2014

I fasted for 21 days...

What did I learn?

Truly the last 21 days were the most invigorating. I fasted Social Media (except Pinterest) and TV (everything that wasn't school related). My kids also fasted from TV (except school related) and electronics. The iPad was played sooooo minimal for only school and seriously our family is better for it!

I learned I don't need social media. Twitter. Facebook. Instagram. Heck, I learned I am not even sure I want social media. Twitter I had already cut back on so much over the course of 2 years or so. Facebook I had definitely cut back on what I posted but not how often I checked it, and Instagram was the biggest thing I was on the most. I learned in 21 days... I don't miss them. Like at all. Instagram still would be my go to cause I love the community of ladies I have on there... Encouraging and real but I don't feel that "need" like before. I logged onto Facebook during the Super Bowl cause I was curious if it was blowing up from all my Seattle friends and it was surprising dead. I scrolled to a couple pages to see if there was anything I had missed while I was "gone" and I felt NOTHING when I was looking. Absolutely nothing. It felt like I didn't belong.

In the last 21 days my life has gone on and it has been fruitful. In the last 21 days my kids have had more me face to face time and not me concerned with what everyone else is doing but me being present in my life. The life that is happening in front of my face. Not that everyone else's life doesn't matter... please don't get me wrong here... but my kids (and I) missed the closeness that used to be there before I got my iPhone years ago. Every now and again my phone would ding with an update from something but there was no draw to go check it out. I feel nothing towards it. I even posted a pic on Instagram this morning and that was after a 10 min, "Ugh, what is the point... why would I want to?" argument with myself.

Life happened.
Right here and it was beautiful.

It was enjoyed and it was still captured. It was still written down. Pen to paper. Memories were still made even though I didn't post it for the world or get so wrapped up in checking if anyone commented on whatever I may have posted. I used to cling to social media as "my only outlet to the outside world" as a stay at home momma of 3, and don't get me wrong there isn't anything wrong with that. That season for me I definitely feel was helpful and encouraging, but I feel God is pulling me away from that. My kids are older and we converse easier than when they were babies and didn't really talk back. My kids and God opened my eyes and heart that I don't need to be consumed with everyone else's posts but what is going on around me instead.

We didn't watch tv but 4/5x...total... in 21 days... all school related movies based on a topic we were learning about. The kids were amazing at staying accountable and honest to the fast. Even my four year old. Their deep desire to not fall was amazing. Even today with the fast over the tv has been off the whole day and the iPad just came out but it's still only a school game that two are playing together.

The house has been more peaceful. We have been more peaceful with each other. We have talked and heard each other's hearts. We have sat around the table to a home cooked meal almost every night. Only a few occasions that did not happen but we were together nonetheless, We have grown closer as a family and to God. We asked the kids what they wanted to continue and they said everything we've been doing. They agreed those items we all cut out were hurting our family and didn't have the desire to bring them back.

I am not sure what that means for the here and now, the future and all of my "presence" on social media but I am excited to see what it means for my family. For our growth the together. I enjoyed reading books for me. I enjoyed more quiet less selfish time with my kids, God, and my husband. I enjoyed seeing my daughter dive in and read more in the last 21 days. I enjoyed listening to the countless different adventures my kids took and who they became as they played. All sounds that would have been drowned out if my face was in my phone or the tv was on in the background. It may sound strange but the days I spent a horrible amount of time on social media I would also be more edgy and feel self-entitled to more "me" time. "Ugh, leave me alone." "Just give me a minute." "Wait... I'm busy." The list goes on and on... I don't feel any of those tendencies anymore since I cut those outlets out.

I don't want to go back to how it was before. The connection now is better than any of those "luxuries." I can't live someone else's life, only mine. A friend told me once as she was leaving Facebook that if her "friends" valued their friendship with her enough then they would still share their life with her directly (via text, phone call, email, face to face) rather then just through a post on Facebook, and if not then God must not be wanting her to know all those details anyway and she wouldn't be missing out on anything.

It's really starting to click what she means there and truth be told I'm starting to agree.

Can I be bold enough to say... It's freeing??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynds,

I can relate to your post! I was FB free for over 2 years and didn't miss it one little bit. I have established a new FB page for business purposes, because everyone kept telling me that I need it. I don't want a personal page and really don't want the business part of it. I log in and I feel lost, and I don't want to learn how to use it again.

Anyways, congratulations to you all on your tech-fast. We do this often for several days at a time and it always feels so good to know that I CAN live without it all. We haven't watched television in 6 or more years now, we just got rid of it and that alone changed our lives. I thought I'd miss it, but I don't. Unplugging often to reconnect is definitely a good thing for the family.

Hugs,
Marissa