Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Enough

What comes to mind when you hear that word?

I have so many different variables of that word that run through my head right now. It's a word that seems to be on repeat lately that God is really asking me to look at. Let's see if any of these resonate with you as well...


ENOUGH!!!! 
(A tantrum with stomping feet and a scream at the time of your lungs...) 

Enough... 
(I have enough or you don't have enough...)

YOU are Enough...
(you feel accepted by...)

Webster's dictionary defines it like this...
Simple definition: Equal to what is needed
Full definiton: occurring in such quantity, quality, or scope as to fully meet demands, needs, or exceptions


Over the last 8 months this words seems to grow in size for me on all ends of the spectrum listed above and each time I feel like I am drowning in one or all of them God brings me back to dry ground with questions of... 

Where is my heart? What am I worshipping? Where is my focus? 

Have I made a "not enough" of one of these areas BIGGER than Him? Have I started to become an idolator of one or more things than of God and my time with him? 

The hard truth of it all is... yes, yes I have. 

I have cried and screamed and yelled that the load is too much. This isn't fair. Why can't I be enough for... Fill in all of the blanks and I'm sure you won't have any trouble guessing all of the above. Why do we do these things? Why is it that it is so easy for us to slip the blinders on and become of the world without intentionally meaning to? Is it because when all is going good we put different blinders on and when the road is hard and those blinders fog up we freak out. 

Where's the road? 
Is that a bend? 
I need to know so I can prepare!! 

But do we really need to!? Doesn't the Bible repeatedly tell us not to fear and that we shouldn't worry about tomorrow? 

I don't know what the plan is but the road feels tight and long. We are weary and of little strength. We have broken down and screamed and yelled. We have cried and cried and we have prayed and prayed. While we don't know the plans God hasn't turned his back in our questions or anger. I don't even know that anger is the right word. Confusion... cries for answers... disappointment... but anger? We have known all along that God has a plan and he's still working... 

He is still working on you too and all of those "ENOUGH'S" whatever end of the spectrum and all of the parts in-between... God is right there too. We need though to work on not keeping our eyes and hearts fixed on the good, bad, and ugly of those, but to keep our eyes on the ONE who says... 

"In your tantrum ENOUGH... don't scream and fight because in those moments my strength is made perfect and I am fighting for you!" 

"You will always have ENOUGH THROUGH and IN ME... don't mistake that with earthly enough... IN and THROUGH ME!" 

"Oh my sweet sweet child... you are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ENOUGH for me!! Always remember you ARE who I say you are!!" 

Are you struggling with that tonight? 
This week? 
This month? 
This year? 

I want to encourage you that you are not alone. And not just because I too am walking that road but because the ONE who is moving, molding, shaping, guiding, providing is walking right there with you too. 

Fix your eyes on HIM and not the details of the ENOUGH spectrum listed above and watch HIM take the worry away, the pride, the idolatry on all things that are deterring you from full focus and community with Him. 

I was watching a study by Kyle Idleman called "gods at war" and this verse was mentioned in one of the lessons... It hit me that it went with the question of... where is my heart, sight, and focus on the enough spectrum really at most of the time lately.

40They would not listen, however, but persisted in their former practices. 41Even while these people were worshiping the Lord, they were serving their idols. To this day their children and grandchildren continue to do as their ancestors did. 
2 Kings 17:40-41

It was a hard truth because on those fist banging crying nights of "why are we walking this right now it seems so backwards" my focus has definitely been on the problem and not who provides the solution. I am grateful though that after releasing the tears God has been quick to bring peace to my heart and bring me back to his embrace saying "feel better now? Now stop listening to the world and just keep your ear tuned to me." It's hard when you get up and life starts moving the world sometimes drowns out His voice throughout the day, but He is near and when I stop to look and say "no Satan you can not have this moment. I am not going to let this thought run wild!!" I'm reminded I can throw away the former practices and walk in His peace that passes all understanding to His Will for my life, my family's life, and we will praise him no matter that road ahead leads us to.

So let me ask you... Do you have ENOUGH of the RIGHT thing? Are you focused on the right thing?  Him? I don't always... 

He's going to rock your world!!
Are you ready for it!? 


No comments: