Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Curriculum Game

I have it nailed down... almost... again.

Seems to be my only line I have the last month or so regarding curriculum for next year. I have so many ideas... darn so many choices *wink*. I have so many different styles or approaches we like or want to do. Budget screams otherwise and then it seems I am back to the drawing board... again. I read some other's posts and try to remind myself not every homeschool family is alike. I get green-eyed over low costs spent for multiple babes or over use of a curriculum I'd love to use but can't.

Oh life.

I say that all though with a massive smile on my face and no real loathing of any kind towards anyone or thing. I am just so ready to have it FINAL, ya know? I want us to be effective and fun. Those two together are possible right? I don't want to skimp on one thing for the other. Stepping out of the brick and mortal mentality is a lot harder at times than some think.

So, what do I have pretty much nailed down to the ground so far... Let's see... for both kiddos... I really need bloggy names for these babes of mine. Sorry, got sidetracked. Back to business.

Bible, Math, Handwriting, Language (unless we are blessed with a bigger budget), Reading, Phonics, Art, Music, Spelling, Planners (come on you know that's important too. heehee), and that's it.

I know the mass majority of it all. We are stepping out of workbooks and text books for some of this... Art - Spelling... and I'm excited, but I am really feeling so blah about Science and History.

At.Such.A. Loss.

We'd LOVE (like L O V E even my husband is amped about it) to do Paths of Exploration but yea cost is too much. I have found another avenue that I could "make like" POE but I worry if I'll make it too much or too little. I guess there are just so many ideas in my head I feel like I will just bog down the kiddos.

On top of the new approach to some of the classes we are also in serious talks of moving to year round schooling. My oldest child actually likes the idea of this. We do too. I used to year round in elementary and taking breaks like we did was awesome. I am weighing in on the fact it gives all of us a mental break around those "why am I doing this again" months. As well as flexibility. I am just not sure of start of the school year/end of the school year dates yet. Most of that depends on when curriculum will arrive. I think it might even be a nice for sanity with jumping in with multiple full time students vs just one.

I don't know... I'm rambling now. Sooooo many thoughts in my head. Why doesn't it ever just stop for like 5 minutes? That's all I ask. ;)

Have any thoughts to throw into the mix on year round or curriculum in general? I'd LOVE to hear them. Any help or suggestions would be b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l!

I suppose it's about that time to wake up the babes to finish up our last 2 days of "full load" for THE YEAR!! Oh yes, you know you heard the angels singing too. It's beautiful isn't it? Heehee. Bible has been completed. Math, Language, and Spelling will be done TOMORROW, and Science is just the last 50 questions in the back of our Apologia Notebooking Journal. We are going to take until next Friday to study them and review then take a verbal test on them all. History we are continuing in a review more laid back over the summer approach. We started a new curriculum late (like after we moved) and I feel it needs to be more POE structured. Living books and so forth. So we are using it to keep our brains open over the summer and it won't feel like "school" at all. We can dig in, work on the projects, and not be bored this summer. ;)

I can't believe the end of 3rd grade is here. It seriously does not feel like the end of the year here.

Does it where you are?

1 comment:

Bev said...

Thanks for visiting my Blog... I opened yours and there it is...God wrote the script...I love it! Do you allow people to take your button?... I have 6 grandchildren who have been and still are homeschoolers.(some are in college now)