Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Help! Clocks

Hello Homeschoolin' {& non-homeschoolin'} Peeps...

Today has been a rough homeschool day. Yesterday I was out of it all day with a killer headache and amazing school was completed with flying colors. Today the headache is gone and school isn't as peaceful as yesterday.

Today in our math for my 2nd grader they were bringing clocks back into our lessons. This time though it was more of clock puzzles. For example it would give her a first clock with the hands drawn on then arrows to another clock saying 1 hour ahead or 2 hours behind. 30 minutes later. 30 minutes earlier. Etc.

See the thing is she can read a clock (most of the time. Sometimes she mixes up the minute hand and hour hand. That's normal at this age right?), BUT when looking at the directions for each advancing clock she would start to breakdown. Tears... sighing... the whole bit. However, when I gave her a worksheet paper from a clocks workbook I have she could glue each correct clock to the correlating time.


I don't understand it. This is a 2nd grader who jumps with excitement for multiplication and fractions facts, but is breaking down with figuring out what time would it be if it was 40 minutes later (or so forth).

I am lost on how to approach this. ?????

Any suggestions? Any sites that might help with the patterns part or am I just better off writing up my own and practicing that way? 

I really appreciate any advise you can give. Thank you. 

Photobucket

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

I am over from the Homeschool hop and your blog is BEAUTIFUL!

Corina said...

Does she have a big (or little) clock to move the hands around on?? That really helped my son when we learned that. To be able to set the time (which he already knew) and then manually move it forward/backwards a certain amount of time. You can easily make one with a paperplate and a brad through strips on construction paper. Hope that helps!

{LyndsD} said...

We do have a clock book that had movable hands. I tried having her use that for some of it, but she was still having a little bit of an issue. :( ????

Anonymous said...

My son had some problems with clocks/time. I'll be honest, I was terribly frustrated with him. He was a wiz with math, so I couldn't figure out why or how he could be struggling with time. I found a learning clock at a toy store that seemed to help him a little. I also decided to take a break with clocks/telling time and try it again in a few months. This seemed to be the key for him.
(hugs)

Joy said...

My oldest daughter had trouble as well. We took a break and just came back to it. Just give her some time.